Today was my fifth fishing trip in about as many weeks. It went about the same as the previous four with the exception that I brought Lauren this time. What does Lauren bring to the table that an experienced, successful fisherman like myself doesn't have? I don't know.
We left to go fishing at about 4 o'clock in the afternoon. The destination was the Hobble Creek catch basin. After a short drive we arrived and parked the car on the side of the road over looking the picturesque pond. We picked out our fishing spot from the car, and then made our way down to the shore. I had the lines all ready to go with my trusty Panther Martin Spinners. We began the easy cast and retrieve of spin fishing as we stood on the bank.
After a about 15 minutes of spin fishing, Lauren turned to me and said, "I think I need to try the Power Bait." "Ok," I replied. She then asked, "aren't you going to put it on my spinner?" "No," I said after I had a good laugh. I began to prepare the power bait rig all the while chuckling to myself.
I left Lauren with the new power bait rig and returned to my rod with the Panther Martin. It wasn't more than a minute later that I heard, "I think I had a bite." I looked back at Lauren. No way, it's probably just grass," I thought as I stared intently at the tip of her rod. I was almost ready to look away convinced that my grass diagnosis was correct when I saw the tip of her rod jerk. A few seconds later it jerked down again. "Reel it in!" I called.
A half a minute later a flattened piece of power bait surfaced a few feet off the shore. I reshaped the bait for Lauren, and then went back to my Panther Martin. Another 30 seconds went by and again I heard "I got a bite!" I looked over to see the characteristic bend in the tip of her pole. She waited and then the pole bent again, but this time it was more than just a bite it was a hooked fish!
The fish splashed its way into shore, as two little boys on the other side of a tree next to us screamed "he's got one! he's got one!" The fish had about had it and was coming into shore, just about the same time that Lauren had had enough of the gender confused elementary age boys. "It's a SHE!" Lauren called out as the fished flopped onto shore.
We let the fish go, and I did the fish a favor by letting the day end without catching any myself...
5 comments:
never underestimate the power of a daines girl and power bait.
Thank you Mattie. Brandon thinks it is just luck. Little does he know I have caught many fish in my time.
he must be forgetting who our father is...does he know that we have fished basically our whole lives?
sorry for all the comments, but by the way, scott wasn't a believer in power bait either until we caught our limit in two hours at matt warner.
Well by watching my reaction to the fish, Brandon probably thought it was the first time I have every caught one. I wouldn't touch it. And tell Scott, it's all about power bait.
Post a Comment